IALE2019 values the diversity of views, expertise, opinions, backgrounds, and experiences reflected among IALE members and the broader landscape ecology community, and is committed to providing a safe, productive and welcoming environment for all participants of IALE2019 World Congress. IALE meetings and events can serve as an effective forum to consider and debate science-relevant viewpoints in an orderly, respectful, and fair manner. This Code of Conduct is important to promoting diversity and creating an inclusive, supportive, and collaborative environment for all peoples.
All IALE meetings and events participants – including, but not limited to, attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, IALE staff, members of the media, vendors, and service providers (hereinafter “participants”) – are expected to abide by this IALE 2019 Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct applies in all venues, including ancillary events and social gatherings, and on-line forums and discussions associated with the IALE2019.
- Treat all participants with kindness, respect and consideration, valuing a diversity of views and opinions (including those you may not share).
- Communicate openly, with respect for other participants, critiquing ideas rather than individuals.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behaviour and speech directed toward other participants.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert IALE2019 staff if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- Respect the rules and policies of the meeting venue, IALE2019-contracted facility, or any other venue.
- Harassment, intimidation, or discrimination in any form. Harassment includes speech or behaviour that is not welcome or is personally offensive. behaviour that is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another, so use discretion to be certain respect is communicated. Harassment intended in a joking manner still constitutes unacceptable behaviour.
- Examples of unacceptable behaviour include, but are not limited to:
- Physical or verbal abuse of any participant
- Unwelcome or offensive verbal comments or exclusionary behaviour related to age, appearance or body size, employment or military status, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, individual lifestyle, marital status, national origin, physical or cognitive ability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, race, or religion
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwanted sexual attention
- Use of sexual or discriminatory images in public spaces or in presentations
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including taking photographs or recording of another individual’s oral presentation or poster without the explicit permission of that individual and of IALE2019
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Bullying behaviour
- Retaliation for reporting unacceptable behaviour
Immediate serious threat to public safety
Anyone experiencing or witnessing behaviour that constitutes an immediate or serious threat to public safety at any time should contact local law enforcement (by calling 112) and immediately notifying facility security.
Reporting Unacceptable Behaviour
If you are not in immediate danger but feel that you are the subject of unacceptable behaviour, have witnessed any such behaviour, or have other concerns, please notify an IALE2019 staff member (as soon as possible) who can work with appropriate IALE leadership to resolve the situation. All reports will be treated seriously and responded to promptly.
Once ESA is notified staff will discuss the details first with the individual filing the complaint, then any witnesses who have been identified, and then the alleged offender before determining an appropriate course of action. Confidentiality will be maintained to the extent that it does not compromise the rights of others.
Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behaviour is expected to comply immediately.
IALE2019 staff (or their designee) or security may take any immediate action deemed necessary and appropriate, including removal from the meeting or event without warning or refund.